Chile -- With No Plans - 2008



On the 6th of March I got off flight PU401 in Santiago Chile with the dream and intentions of buying a motorcycle and riding the 10,000 km back to Jackson. For a couple weeks I mastered the public transport as I looked for bikes and made daily trips to the ATM. My resolve was tested as I watched a dog work its way out into traffic only to get smashed and shiver to death. 
The image stuck with me as I test drove bikes, but by Tuesday the 18th I had found one I thought would do the job and was still committed to the dangerous journey. That following morning the owner called and told me he couldn’t sell the bike until the following day due to unexpected meetings. Later that night I got a call from my father that my mother had almost died in a car accident. I was informed she had several broken bones, the car was destroyed, but they knew she was going to be alright because she was still ordering my father around. Relieved but shaken I went for a long run and ultimately decided against my dream of 11 countries by motorcycle. I struggled with whether I chose not to go due to a weak will, fear, or justified reasons, but reflecting back I think it was one of the few wise choices I made on my trip around the world. For a couple weeks I bummed around, partied, and felt truly unmotivated and lost. Until then I always had a plane to catch, a brother to meet, or a farm to work on. With no plan and even less motivation I continuously made and discarded plans for where to travel and what to see.



I was where everyone wants to be; in and exotic country, 18 years old, in good health, but was immobilized by a lack of direction and squandered a solid three weeks. During this time I did managed to hop on one of 70 busses that were taking students from Universidad Catolica to the beach. It’s hard to have a bad time on a beach with 3000 college kids, live music, free booze and good food. One of my many attempts at getting out of my rut was applying for a job on cruise ships that often need workers who speak English. I attempted hitchhiking the 150 km to Chile´s major port, Valparaiso. After receiving about a dozen middle fingers and waiting about 3 hours in the sun holding up my thumb I threw in the towel and paid the $3 for the bus ride. With hopes of working my way home on a huge ship I spent two days asking around only to find out I would have to work for 6 months and start in September. Disappointed I returned to Santiago and my great friends that were providing me with food and shelter.

Hitchhiking in Northern Chile in a Semi that had a top speed of 35. Long 2 hours.
 On the 27th of March I received an email Norm Larson and Lorna Carson asking if I wanted to be an assistant guide on the Grand Canyon. I finally had a date and time to be back in the states with something spectacular to look forward to. This jump started me and on the 28th I started hitch hiking to toward the north of Chile with plans to later explore Peru and surf in Costa Rica before heading home.
The middle of nowhere
I stopped in Valparaiso for a couple good games of Chilean soccer and then I continued north to Antofagasta. With the desire to go camping I hitchhiked north to Iquique. From Iquique my host family willing dropped me off at a random spot on the side of the road in the driest place in the world for two nights of self-reflection, photography, and naked frolicking . The time slowed, water became far more important, and I sat for long hours in the primitive shelter I had constructed to provide much needed shade. Out of water and thousands of thoughts later I was picked up and taken back to civilization. Here in Iquique I have been eating steak, sausages, the best empanadas in the world, and churros with powdered sugar hot out of the oil. In a couple days I was to head north to Arica, Chile for a night and then into Peru.

Epic fail attempting to hitchhike from Santiago to Valparaiso
Pointing to my shelter for two nights
Headed into the middle of nowhere
Telephone worker who picked me up and drove me 3 hours through the desert of Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment